Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic dish loved by many. However, nowadays, people tend to get their cordon bleu from the frozen section of the supermarket, which is a shame when it only takes a few minutes to whip your own home made version. So, read on and enjoy this simple Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe good for one person. Just adjust the ingredients accordingly if feeding a family or more people.
What You’ll Need:
- Boneless chicken breast (about 4-8 ounces per piece)
- Two slices of ham
- A slice of cheese (add more if you want to)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup of flour
- An egg, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (you may use the usual breadcrumb or panko breadcrumb for extra crispiness)
- A teaspoon or two of mustard
- Half a teaspoon of Parsley (fresh or dry works well, adjust to 1 teaspoon if using fresh leaves)
- Cooking oil for frying (enough to fill your pan about ¼ inch)
- Your favorite sauce
- Toothpicks or string for securing the rolled chicken later
Let's Start Heating Up the Kitchen!
6. Place your ham over the chicken and then add in the cheese. Placing the ham over the chicken before the cheese prevents the cheese from leaking out in case your chicken was pounded so thin and has holes in it. This layering technique also makes for a better color contrast when you cut the Chicken Cordon Bleu prior to serving.
12. It is done when all sides have been browned evenly. Take off the pan and drain excess oil by placing it over some kitchen towels. Allow to rest for 5-15 minutes before cutting to ensure the juices and the cheese won’t leak out. An alternative is to deep fry the chicken or to spray it with oil and bake in the oven for about twenty to thirty minutes depending on the oven’s temperature setting.